Saturday, February 21, 2015

Yarn Dyeing - The Adventure Continues

Originally published on Wordpress.com on 2/13/15

Toy Knitting Machine
Toy Knitting Machine
yarn blank, more like snake
yarn blank, more like snake
The goal of yarn dyeing was to create a skein of yarn with gradual color changes. So now that I conquered the first experiment which while very satisfying was not the end product I was looking for, now it was on to another trial. To do this one I purchased a toy knitting machine to make up a yarn blank. Unfortunately after about 2 hours the handle broke, grr, I had to complete by turning the pink needle part. It worked but was very hard on my hands.
Once the yarn blank was complete I put about a sixth of it in the remaining purple, bright pink & pink Tulip tie-dye dye I had from my first experiment on the stove in a steel pot and brought the temperature up to a simmer. After about 5 minutes I put in another sixth of the yarn blank so I would get a darker patch of color at the end and less color nearer the next color change.  I continued to simmer the yarn/dye mixture until water was clear. I then put in yellow food coloring and vinegar in the pot, I didn't note how much coloring I used, but it was a good squirt, how's that for scientific? I then put in the next section of yarn making sure to overlap some of the original dyed yarn. I did the same as before simmering until the water was clear. I also added some red food coloring near the end to make orange, it didn't work as well as I would have liked but overall I am pleased with the yellow section. The last section was done with red and blue food coloring, I was trying to achieve purple. I did get purple but not the bright purple that the Tulip dye gave me, this is more a soft grey dovie purple. Happy experiment overall. Now I just have to save my pennies to buy a real knitting machine $150 versus toy price of $20.
IMG_0451
IMG_0451
2nd Experiment, long color swatches, other side of yarn cake
2nd Experiment, long color swatches, other side of yarn cake
2nd Experiment, long color swatches
2nd Experiment, long color swatches

No comments:

Post a Comment