Saturday, February 21, 2015

2014 Guild Challenge Quilt

Originally published on wordpress.com 2/10/14

So I need your help our guild has an annual challenge quilt in which you get a fat quarter of a focus fabric and 1/8 of an accent. You can make the quilt any size the only thing that must be done is that both fabrics must appear on the front of the quilt. The theme of challenge is a "Celebration of Color".
 
In the picture section I have included the two fabrics and my first draft of the quilt, I would love feedback!
 
When I first saw the fabric the first thing I saw was that the flowers also looked like gears. So my thought process in drafting my first idea was to have basically half the quilt white with streams of color going into the center of the quilt which was going to be two gears, hopefully actually turning, that on the other half of the quilt produced the colorful fabric. The second idea was somewhat the reverse of this idea to have the colorful fabric feeding into a funnel from the top of the quilt and then out of the funnel would come a rainbow. Both of these ideas I abandon because I didn't really like the idea of material coming into a point in the middle of the quilt and then going out. It left triangles of dead space I wasn't sure how to fill.
 
While I was thinking about the design I also started to teach myself how to do English paper piecing. And while I was doing that it struck me, the hexagon rosettes kinda look like gears! With that in mind I designed the quilt mock up you see with this project. I plan to embellish the quilt with seed beads running down the rosettes as if a line of color was being cranked out in the gears. When it comes to the bottom then I might create beaded fringe coming off the quilt to make it appear like a rainbow was the end product of the machine. Right now I am calling the quilt "the Rainbow Machine"
 
So what do you think? Any other ideas?
Focus Fabric
Focus Fabric
Accent Fabric
Accent Fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment